Cleaning your home’s rain gutters might not seem like an important maintenance task, but it’s essential to keep your house secure and family safe.
The first thing people will notice about neglected gutters is how ugly they look. Over time, clogged, overflowing and damaged gutters will begin to pull away from your house or corrode to the point of total collapse. Without preventative maintenance, expect to spend a lot of your time and money repairing sections of guttering and other damage done to and around your home.
For the most part, you can clean clogged gutters yourself. But you may want to consult a professional gutter cleaning service to be sure they are completely cleaned out and in good condition.
Not convinced that gutter maintenance is important? Here’s what can happen when you ignore clogged gutters and gutter cleaning in Oklahoma City:
- Rotted wood: When gutters clog up, there is nowhere for the rain water and debris to go but over onto the side of your house. Water overflow can cause the wood to rot, and not just the wood the gutters are attached to. Wood rot can spread to areas all over your home—under the eaves, exterior window frames, rooftop support beams and the underside of the roof in the attic.
- Structural damage: A huge issue you might face when you ignore gutter cleaning is extensive structural damage to your home. Overflowing water and wood rot can do a lot of damage from the roof all the way to the foundation, which can mean expensive repair bills. The biggest problem is the soil around the house softening to the point the foundation cracks. Prevention is better than having to deal with damage control, so don’t hesitate to call a professional gutter cleaner for help.
- Basement flooding: Clogged rain gutters can cause basement water problems. Whether due to a malfunctioning water mitigation system or clogging, overflowing water has nowhere to go but back onto the roof and down the sides. Once overflow begins, rain water can infiltrate basement walls, which can lead to bad odors, black mold, water damage and flooding.
- Landscaping issues: Water overflow from clogged gutters can do much more than just interior and exterior damage to your home—it can also cause landscaping issues. Overflowing water can harm the grass and plants that sit below, and streams of water will wash away mulch and nutritious soil. If the erosion is bad enough, you may not be able to salvage portions of your landscaping. Concrete surfaces like driveways and walkways may also pit or crack.
- Insect infestations: The debris clogging your gutters will stay moist for a time. Unfortunately, this type of thing attracts insects, bugs and other pests. Clean your gutters before insects get a chance to nest inside and infest your roof and other parts of your home.
Ideally, you should inspect and clean your gutters before and after the rainy season. Call the professionals at L & S Seamless Guttering today to schedule gutter installation, gutter repair or gutter cleaning in Oklahoma City.
Categorised in: Uncategorized