Clogged, dirty and damaged gutters all have one major thing in common: They cause problems for homeowners. When rain gutters clog up, the water falling on your roof has nowhere to go.
Instead of running down the gutters and downspouts, away from your house, water flows over the sides, causing all types of problems. Among them, mold and mildew growth and costly damage to your roof, siding, foundation, basement and landscaping.
Be observant! The simplest way to avoid all these issues is to inspect your gutters often, unclog them and make repairs as soon as possible. Here are six telltale signs your gutter installation in Oklahoma City needs cleaning:
- Water is overflowing: Unless a sudden heavy downpour just rolled through, water should not be spilling out over the sides of your gutters. If this happens during times of average rainfall, then your gutters are clogged. Consider installing rain gutter guards if your gutters are prone to clogging.
- Downspouts not draining: Water not flowing out of a downspout is another indication your gutters are clogged. If rain water cannot pass through the moist debris inside a gutter, then all you will see coming from the downspout exit point is drizzle or condensation. Check the gutters and elbows (the portion linking the gutter to the downspout) for clogs.
- Gutters are sagging: Different types of debris can get caught inside gutters, such as leaves, twigs, shingle grit and pine needles. All this junk coupled with water can get heavy, causing your gutters to bend and sag under the unusual weight. Water cannot be carried away from your house. Or worse, the gutter installation itself may begin to pull away from the house.
- Siding has stains: Overflowing gutters and standing water in gutters can leave stains on your home’s siding. Over time, stagnant rainwater may end up damaging the fascia boards on the shingles of your roof and behind the gutters. Cleaning out your gutters avoids clogs, therefore preventing water overflow that can lead to expensive siding and shingle replacements.
- Visible debris buildup: Step back from your house until you can see the gutters and roofline. Do you see leaves, sticks and other debris clearly? This is not good! Visible debris means there’s more stuff stuck inside the gutter than it can accommodate. Get rid of debris and wash out the gutters as soon as possible.
- Plants or pests: Wild creatures and critters should not be in or on your gutters nesting. If you observe this, chances are you have a clogged gutter. Another problem is plant growth. Seeds are easily blown in by the wind, dropped from trees or transported by birds. Your garden should be on the ground in a proper growing container, not germinating inside your gutters.
Even though cleaning your rain gutters is an important part of home maintenance, it’s easy to forget to clean them. The good news is that there are professionals who specialize in gutter cleaning and gutter installation in Oklahoma City. Call L & S Seamless Guttering today to schedule your free service estimate!
Categorised in: Gutters